Sunday, August 26, 2007

Whistle (or scream) to control your computer!

Hello Readers!

It has been a long time since I wrote my last blog post. Well, I had been busy with a lot of things – like college, harmonica playing, meeting people, (and not to mention a whole host of fun, yet unproductive things I had been doing). Oh, and I was also busy reading, discussing and thinking over the last Harry Potter book by J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is stunningly beautiful. I loved it. :)

Well, anyway … I’m always in search for alternate ways to communicate with computers, and ever since I built a sound sensor for my Viper robot, I was thinking of ways to communicate with my computers using sound as a medium. I figured out how to use DirectSound to read the levels of my computer’s available sound capture devices thanks to a wonderful example by Jacob Klint over at CodeProject. I’ve written code to count the number of times the sound level of my microphone exceeds a certain threshold for controlling a few things on my computer. Say, for example, if I whistle two times (loudly), the software would check my email. If I whistle three times, it would turn off my computer, and so on.


The drawback is that it won’t be long before everyone in your house will be irritated by your whistling! That’s why I still prefer laser gesture recognition for controlling things. :) However, if you’re interested in seeing the code, just let me know.

Now, I’m thinking about capturing sound from two sources and perhaps even perform sound localization! That would be very cool. :) Keep visiting...

18 comments:

cautionsign said...

cool, another good idea.

Anonymous said...

Can you send me this great program (.exe)? It would be a great fun :)
Sorry for my English, Evgeny Barushev.
Galahed@ultra.ru

Unknown said...

Hello!
I'm simply amazed at the great projects you come up with.

I was wondering, if you don't mind, is there any possibility of you releasing that program?

If so, it would totally help me with my current quest for room automation (and allow me to control lights, for example, through claps and whistles).

Thank you!
-Omar

SriV said...

Hi Asish,

Its good to see all your projects and innovations. I could recollect my college days and my dreams about ALL these projects. I thought very well and dreamt about all these things. After long time its good to see all these projects at a single place. I really appreciate it and your age needs special attention in my praise towards you. I wish you all the best and have a wonderful career. Once you complete your education and enter into the field you may not find time to work on your interesting hobby projects :-)Atleast it happend for me.

My email id is sriv.godavari@gmail.com and I will be sending a request for the source code of some of your projects. Before that let me spend somemore time on your blog and projects.

Take care. Bye

Ashish Derhgawen said...

Hey ShrV,

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed my projects. :)

Thanks for writing.

Talk to you soon..

Keep visiting,
Ashish

Mabbee said...

Hi!

Just browsing looking for a voice recognition to control my pc and i got into your site.. can you share your source for your whistle sound or any suggestion that i can use to do my project? thanks. my mail is webyite@yahoo.com

thanks,
web

dickens said...

hi ash,

i admire ur work man such fasinating creations.was wondering, i wud lyk u to share ur whistling code with me to use in ma project my mail is dickens_sm@yahoo.com

thank man

... said...

man how do u do this things . can u pls send me the code in y mail add .....rumieee@gmail.com

Nikunj jain said...

Man u are simply the best.....
can u please send me the code on..
niks_jn@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

hi, cool idea .. can u share the code and the exe ? ... i think it must be fun ... :p
my email is sie_sie79@yahoo.de
Thanks in advance ! and your website is soooo coooolllll !!!!

Jishnu Dave said...

>>However, if you’re interested in seeing the code, just let me know.

I'm very much interested..

burubong said...

hi, im very interested on this project..

and i want to create my own...

can you pls. help me sir...

can you pls. send me the program?

and also the parts list(components)

thank you very much

llewor.28@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hello sir im very much impressed by your projects and your ideas so if possible can you please oblige me by sending the code. awaiting your response at the earliest

Anonymous said...

HELLO SIR,I AM ABHINAV MISHRA ND I AM A STUDENT IN PILANI. I M DOING MY B.TECH FROM COMPUTER SCIENCE BRANCH. I LIKED A LOT OF UR PROJECT IDEAS. CAN PLEASE SEND ME THE CODINGS AND DETAILS OF UR PROJECT ""Whistle (or scream) to control your computer!". HAVE U TRIED IT PRACTICALLY? SIR CAN U PLEASE ALSO SUGGEST ME SOME OTHER PROJECTS RELATED TO MY BRANCH. PLEASE SEND ME THE CODINGS ON MY I.D. amishra_golden@yahoo.com. please do reply

Anonymous said...

hello ashish..
gourav here.plz send me the code.
i think it would be great to work with it.plz send me code at
gourav.09_kaila@yahoo.co.in||kaila31@gmail.com
thx. nd best of luck 4 ur new prjects

Anonymous said...

hello sir....ur idea was pretty good...
u hav come up with a nice idea ...
would u please send me d code...coz we r having a science expo very shortly...awaiting ur reply...srivasavi1287@gmail.com

night crawler said...

Hi Ashish I m very much intersted in dis project n just crawling my n8s 4 making dem can u send me d layouts n trends 2 built dis 1. eddy.spiritual.doom@gmail.com

Islamghar said...

very nice effort great ideas i hope u will find success on that way reads
Du'a